Language

January 16, 2015

Final Wheelset for my Norco Sight

I hate when a bike has different wheels, that's why I've decided to change rear rim om my new wheelset from WTM KOM i23 650b to Colt Element 27.5" rim. Now I have similar wheels but with different hubs (ZZYZX 15mm + Novatec 142x12). Colt Element rim looks much more stronger than WTB KOM though Element is only 15 grams more heavy.

Final wheelset for my Norco Sight with Maxxis Highroller II 27.5"x2.4" 3C/EXO and Avid G2CS 180/160mm rotors:



Here is specification of the wheels:

Front wheel (905gr):
rim - Colt Element 27.5" - 435gr
hub - ZZYZX 15mm - 220gr
spokes - 32 DT Swiss Champion 2.0 260mm - 250gr

ZZYZX 15mm front hub:

Colt Element rim:


Rear wheel (1075):
rim - Colt Element 27.5" - 435gr
hub - Novatec D142SB-X12 - 405gr
spokes - 16 DT Swiss Champion 2.0 258mm + 16 DT Swiss Competition 2.0-1.8-2.0 260mm - 235gr

Novatec D142SB-X12 rear hub:

Rear wheel with Shimano SLX 10sp 11-36T Cassette and Avid G2CS 160mm rotor on a scale:

14 comments:

  1. this is a job well done! looks amazing and the colors will suit the frame in a good way. Hey, you told me before that you calculate the spoke length yourself, did you lace the wheel yourself too? I am trying to figure out the whole wheel building thing here myself (bought a Minoura truing stand). Anyway how different the spoke length between the stock rims and hubs and these new rims and hubs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spokes will be 4mm shorter with Colt Element rim and 3 cross lacing pattern. I use 2 cross lacing, that's why my spokes are much sorter. I build wheels myself, and I don't use truing stand

      Delete
  2. where did you get these rims from by the way? they are not sold in Trial-Sport, are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colt is a russian brand made in China. http://chillengrillen.ru/catalog/14320/121984/?sphrase_id=62081

      Delete
  3. is the novatec freehub body made of aluminum or steel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's made of steel, that's why the hub is a bit heavy

      Delete
  4. i have to ask how are the 2.4" wide tyres? do they fit okay in the rear? is there enough mud clearance left back there with such wide new tyres?

    ReplyDelete
  5. how heavy are these Highroller tyres?

    ReplyDelete
  6. can we talk on skype or google hangouts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there. Tell me pls, something about durability of element rims? How does it feel? What s your riding style? Did you try to use it tubeless? I choose between them and wtb frequency i23? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sergey! Yes, I use them tubeless. I've rode several enduro races this season and I'm satisfied with these rims. They are wider than i23s and have heigher profile, though they are rather lightweight. They have enough strength for enduro, but I'm not a heavy rider (73kg)

      Delete
  8. I respect your piece of work, appreciate it for all the interesting content . mtb bike rims

    ReplyDelete