Language

November 10, 2014

New Wheels for Norco Sight

My new Norco Sight A 7.2 comes with very bad wheels. Stock wheelset consists of Alexrims TD26 650B rims with ball bearing Joytech hubs. Weight of this wheelset is 2200 grams.
Few months ago I have build a new front wheel using WTB KOM i23 650B rim and ZZYZX hub. This wheel is 150 grams lighter than stock front wheel and it has TCS (tubeless compatible system) option. 
I've ordered new rear hub (Novatec D142SB-X12) from carbonarabike.com for only 25euros and have bought new rim (COLT Element 27.5") for my new rear wheel.  It's a rather big problem to put a tyre on COLT Element rim. I couldn't install my new Maxxis Highroller II without special tools. It is also impossible to take off a tyre from this rim by hand only. That's why I decided to put Colt rim in the front, cause it's harder to get pinch flat on a front wheel.

Front wheel (895gr): 
rim - Colt Element 27.5" - 435gr
hub - ZZYZX 15mm - 220gr
spokes - 32 DT Swiss Champion 2.0 260mm - 240gr





Rear wheel (1055):
rim - WTB KOM i23 650B - 425gr
hub - Novatec D142SB-X12 - 410gr
spokes - 32 Butted 2.0-1.8-2.0 260-262mm - 220gr



Both wheels are built using 2 cross lacing pattern. Result weight of my new All Mountain wheelset is 1950 grams. It is lighter than stock 2.2 kg but not as light as other expensive factory AM wheelsets.

15 comments:

  1. Why you said the stock Alexrims TD26 650B rims with ball bearing Joytech hubs is a very bad wheel? How does the new wheelset improve? In rolling or climbing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New wheels a rather cheap, but they will give me both good rolling and climbing abilities. Hubs with sealed cartridge bearings are smooth as butter. Both of new rims are perfect for tubeless tires.

      Delete
    2. Hi. Well, Alexrims TD26 are rather satisfactory rims, they are not heavy but it is rather hard to make tubeless wheels with them. But ball bearing Joytech hubs annoy me very very much. It is very hard to tune them. If you tighten them - they don't roll. If you make them untight - they have a big play. I hate when wheels or suspension has a play. These hubs are also rather heavy - 290gr front, and 480gr rear.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the info as i have the same stock wheelset on my kona. Now i know i can just replace with sealed cartridge bearing hub. You make my day

      Delete
  2. Hi, I am Oleo. I just bought Sight Alloy 7.2 myself. I got the same bike as you have. Thank you very much for posting this information about the wheels and especially about how much these Joytech hubs weight. I wanted to know that from the beginning. Big thanks. Post more info in the future, please, I will be following this page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thank you. I've made some more upgrades to be ready for the new season, and soon will post some pics and info about it

      Delete
  3. How heavy were the stock Alex rims?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Alexrims TD26 650b weight is about 460-470gr
      http://vanfreeride.blogspot.ru/2014/09/rims-weight-wtb-kom-i23-alex-td26-zzyzx.html

      Delete
  4. How did you choose the spoke length for your new hubs and rims? Did you use some sort of DT Swiss calculator? I want to build new wheels too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a spreadsheet in Excel that calculates spokes' length, but DT Swiss calculator can do the same.

      Delete
  5. Hey, Van, have you considered buying a Mavic Crossride 27.5" wheelset instead of building your own wheels? Do you think they will fit the bike well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use Mavic Crossride wheelset. They are rather goodlooking and I think they will be good for trail riding. Some people say that they are weak for enduro. I've made wheels myself, because I was short of money, and I just needed to buy one rim and rear hub.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the answer. Yes, people are saying the crossride are not wide enough. They are only 19mm wide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete