Language

May 5, 2014

Review: Shimano FC-M552 Crankset

FC-M552 is a cheap OEM crankset from Shimano. Usually it is installed at budget complete bikes for Cross Country or All Mountain such as my Corratec X-force 0.3 2012. These are my first Hollowtech II cranks and I'm very impressed with this crankset system. Big alloy axle of these cranks is very strong, reliable and lightweight. There is no need in any special tools to take off cranks from a bike. I've been using these cranks for two seasons, and I can say that Shimano FC-M552 has only two minuses:
- they are a little bit more heavy than SLX or XT;
- they are rather flexible in comparison with some rigid DH cranks, but I didn't noticed any problems with this flexibleness. Maybe it gives me some aditional suspension for my legs?? :)
Pluses of this crankset are:
- price;
- it's strength is enough for trail riding or enduro.




M552 crankset usually comes with cheap SM-BB51 bottom bracket. This bottom bracket has bearings with single-sided seals (bearing name is 6805-RD), and it is pain in the ass for the BB51 users! My crankset has been stuck after first rainy ride, cause the water managed to get into bearing:
It is not a big problem for me to change the bearings in my bottom bracket, so I've bought two new 6805-2RS bearings with dual-sided seals and pressed it into BB. Since then my pedals have been turning smoothly  and I have forgotten about BB51 problems.

The weight of Shimano FC-M552 (42T-32T-24T) Cranks with chainrings but without BB is about 860 grams (1.9 pounds):


The weight of the cranks only is about 650gr (1.43 pounds):

No comments:

Post a Comment